Hi there. I know the title is crazy right? A tote bag from a CAT FOOD BAG? OMG nothing says CRAZY CAT LADY like wearing a cat food bag on your shoulder! But hey some of these bags are really great quality. Who wants to pay a quarter for a bag at Aldi’s when you can have your own bright and colorful tote?
So here’s how I did it.
- Wash the bag out. Make sure that all the cat food and the smell is gone. You don’t want to play Pied Piper to a line of cats, or maybe you do. But it’s easier to work with if it’s clean and your cats won’t be trying to eat the bag as you make it!
- Once it’s dry, find the seam or the tape on the bottom and cut it open. Kit and Kaboodle have a piece of tape that holds the folded bag together. I sliced the tape and didn’t cut the bag.
- Find the side seam and cut down it. Now the bag should be one big open square.
- I cut the bag almost in half. I measured 12 inches down from the top for the handles. That gave me roughly 13 inches for the bottom.
- For the handles, I cut the 12 inch piece in half lengthwise giving me two very long 6 inch wide pieces.
- Take each one of these and fold it in thirds right side out. So now you should have a very long 2 inch wide piece. Run a straight seam down each side. Your handles are now done.
- For the bag. fold down 1 inch on the top and sew it down. It’s easier to do the top hem before you do the side.
- Right sides together, sew your side seam .
- Then sew your bottom seam.
- Turn the bag right side out.
- Determine where you want your handles and if you want them shorter. I like long handles for over my shoulder, so I left them the original length.
- For this bag, I came in 2 1/2 inches from the side seam on each side and placed an end of one handle. One handle on each side. As you can see in the picture, I made a nice little square going around all four sides.
- To make the “box” bottom on the tote, I could explain it, but this short video does a much better job. She uses a tool but you can do the same thing with a ruler. I don’t own this tool. It’s cool, it’s handy, but like I said, you can do the same thing with a ruler.
That’s all there is to it! Enjoy!